Location China China

Death toll rises to 44 from massive Tianjin blasts

The death toll has climbed to 44 from two massive blasts that ripped through a warehouse in north China’s port city of Tianjin as of Thursday noon, according to rescue headquarters.
Twelve firefighters were among the dead.
A total of 520 people have been hospitalized, including 66 critically injured.
An explosion ripped through a warehouse storing “dangerous goods” in north China’s Tianjin City late Wednesday night.
The blast started at around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Binhai New Area. The fireballs erupted from it then ignited further explosions in companies nearby.
The shockwaves were felt kilometers away, with some residents claiming their window glass and fish tanks shattered. People in neighborhoods nearby said flames lit up the sky and the blasts with big noises blew up dust of dozens of meters high.
Lu Yun, head of the nearby Taida Hospital, said they have received more than 50 wounded people, and more are coming. The injuries were mainly from broken glass or stones. Some of the injuries are serious.
Witnesses recall panic moments of China’s fatal warehouse blasts
TIANJIN, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) — Du Wenjun, a resident in north China’s Tianjin Municipality, never imaged that he could see a “mushroom cloud” outside the window of his own home.
At around 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, a blast ripped through a warehouse that is several kilometers away from Du’s dwelling, leaving at least 17 people dead and more than 400 injured.
When the blast occurred, Du felt strong jolts and saw a huge column of smoke not far away. A video clip of a witness showed that the heavy smoke dispersed high in the sky, shortly after fires raged with loud bangs.
Zhao Lirong, a 35-year-old businesswoman from Inner Mongolia, was sleeping when the blast blew off the windows and doors in her apartment, hitting her head, her son’s neck and her husband’s feet.
A dozen family members living in the apartment were wounded. But all of them run out of the building and walked to the Teda hospital nearby.
People rushed into the streets with pajamas, some worrying that an earthquake would happen.
There was a heavy traffic congestion of over hundreds of meters at 1 a.m. on the street near the warehouse, according to Lu Qing, a witness driving by.
According to the official Weibo account of the Ministry of Public Security, the Tianjin fire bureau received the first report of the fire at 22:50 p.m. on Wednesday. Nine fire brigades and three specialty teams were dispatched to the spot, followed by another nine brigades and 35 fire trucks an hour later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *